Physical Wellbeing is the ability to maintain a healthy quality of life that allows us to get through our daily activities without undue fatigue or physical stress. The ability to recognize that our behaviors have a significant impact on our wellbeing and adopting healthful habits (routine checkups, a balanced diet, exercise, sleep etc.) while avoiding destructive habits (tobacco, drugs, alcohol, etc.) will lead to optimal Physical Wellbeing.
Physical wellness is also concerned with developing personal responsibility for your own health care, such as caring for minor illnesses and knowing when professional medical attention is needed. Developing physical wellness empowers you to be able to monitor your own vital signs and understand your body’s warning signs. You’ll understand and appreciate the relationship between sound nutrition and how your body performs. The physical benefits of looking good and feeling terrific most often lead to the psychological benefits of enhanced self-esteem, self-control, determination and a sense of direction.
Are you engaged in the process of physical wellbeing?
Evaluate your own physical wellbeing with this brief assessment.
- I know important health numbers, like my cholesterol, weight, blood pressure, and blood sugar levels?
- I get annual physical exams?
- I avoid using tobacco products?
- I get a sufficient amount of sleep?
- I have an established exercise routine in which I get in on average 150 minutes per week of activity?
- I eat a diet rich in whole foods (fruit, vegetables, lean meats, healthy fats, whole grains)
- I drink at least 8 glasses of water per day?
If you answered “No” to any of the statements, it may indicate an area where you need to improve the state of balance with your physical wellbeing.
Here are some resources you may consider:
- BCBS Health Coaching
- BCBS Diabetes management program
- EAP, MyLifeMatters (Company password: LSSD1, select health)
- Employee Wellbeing Opportunities
- Weight Watchers at Work
- Tobacco Cessation (CareHere, LifeMatters)
- CareHere Pre/Post Diabetes Management Program
- Local Fitness Center Discounts (check the staff discount page for current listings)
- Onsite Group Fitness Classes
- Onsite Cooking Demos
- Onsite Chair Massages
- Onsite Mobile Mammogram
- Onsite Flu Shots
Other physical wellbeing assessments you may consider through the EAP, LifeMatters website (company password: LSSD1, select home>assessments):